Similar in concept to the mythological Phoenix, Belfield FM lies in a constant state of death and rebirth as the old members of the society graduate or flunk out of UCD and new freshers come in to take their place as prominent members within the society. These waves of freshers often end up forging friendships and alliances between each other before associating with the old guard of the society, and as a result each wave has distinct features recognizable to the rest of Belfield FM.
- The Byrnian Wave - people who joined the society with Johnny Byrne's revival
- The Palmentarian Wave - people who joined the society during the period of Robert Palmentari's dominance over the BFMMYs
- The Ascoughian Wave - people who joined the society while the Katie Ascough Impeachment Campaign was active
- The Wikidean Wave - people who joined the society during the wiki revivals
- The Wave of the New Flesh - people who joined the society during a period of tumult, when fears of indoctrination through media were discarded and student radio was used as a physical aspect of the self rather than an interest or hobby